Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Space Exploration...The Final Frontier

Okay,...so I have been on MySpace for a week now....I have assembled a mostly funny profile,..with a little of everything. I have posted my pics and I have cruised around. This is more an expreiment than anything,..but it will give you insight into online dating.....MySpace, for those of you that do not know, was developed to help local bands get some air time and noticed. Initially the set up allowed for a band to post songs, their profile, their pics,..tour dates...posters, and so forth. The idea was that the general public could browse by genre or area to find local and house bands. It also was a chance for the bands to play some music outside of their tour area and without being on radio....MySpace evolved into a place for the general public to do the same....now all it reuqires is an email address and off you go. Since the site was designed with HTML in mind it is very workable and you can completely personalize it as you wish. MySpace name is perfect,..its like a cyber apartment. Postes on the wall,...music playing,...personality info,...wants,...likes and so forth...its kind of a cross between an online dating site, an apartment that you invite random friends to, and a view into your pysche. I love the idea,..but the internet is still what it is.....two dimensional. Meeting people this way is a bit unnatural,...but natural selection still seems to work. A hot picture will get you noticed, but a picture may get you passed by....I guess the same is true in a bar,..but there you have tone of voice and inflection in comments or when you ask to buy someone a drink. You have pherimones and the likes to assist you in finding a mate (for lack of a better term),...you have the option to be a little tipsy and ask someone who is tipsy to dance,..only to find out you went to the same high school in bar.....BUUUUUT MySpace has advantages that a bar cannot have. Like you can stare someone up and down and not get thrown out for being a perv by the 6'10" bouncer who's favorite movie is Roadhouse. You also get the advantage of knowing more by a simple read than you would in an hour of conversation based on what people put on their profile. As well the usually shy are not so introverted when separated from the world via Tri-W. Two nights ago for instance I could not sleep and at 4 a.m. I was able to cruise around "Trolling" wayyyyy after the bars we shut and not that you need the visual,..but I did it in my PJ's eating a frozen burrito (probably whyI was unable to sleep after that too!!!).
So to tell you what its like in simple terms is this. I am a pretty creative guy, pretty smart (although that may rarely be displayed here,..I have my moments). I think I put together a pretty decent page....a little salty, a lot funny, and just all around cool.....at least I think so,...but you never know what will turn another person off,...and without the benefit of seeing an expression or hearing comments from them,..you never really know what will turn someone away from answering your email or whatever....
So the experiment goes like this,....set up a good page....then do a search; much as you would on Match or Yahoo personals.....since this is free,...its definitely more diverse.....but with that said,...it also isn't singles exclusive,...and there are plenty of people seeking only friends that are involved in relationships or whatever....its a varitble plethora of people though,..much like a bar...you may still go home with a married woman,...who as it turns out is hot at 2 and fugly at 7...

Here is what has happened thus far......
I have emailed girls that I thought were attractive AND their profiles had things in common with mine so there is something to talk about like: is attarctive and likes outdoors or native to Jax or things like that:

Contact made by me via email # sent: 18

You can see if they read your mail or not, some read it then respond later,..I am guilty of this too, so it means nothing. It may be days before you are responded to.....so:

I have recieved thus far: 2 replies

Women are more bold here too,...so you get hit on sometimes by them....here is what I have found out during my online dating and mySpace adventures: Some women respond to little or few men,..but cruise around and pick who they want to talk to. They mostly do this because if you have tits and a profile up,..you're going to get mail from someone,..in most cases the box is full of them....everything from pervs and freaks to regular Joes. Its funny to hear these stories from women I meet. Guys do some really stupid shit here and on dating sites. A lot of dudes, take pictures with their shirts off or all cruched up like meatheads,..others send poems and virtual stalk....The ladies will do similar stuff especially when it comes to sexuality,..posting non-explicit, but revealing or erotic photos....I am sure they get the freaks and pervs to the max,..but they keep their profiles that way...but the dudes crack me up in some of the things they do.....

With that established, I get my share of drive-bys from women....so far in one week: 6

Two were so ugly I couldn't bear to even acknowledge them (Hey I may not get acknowledged for the same reason from some too). The balance of women contacting me all have kids...not what I am looking for, but I am open to it,..you just never know. I have been going back and forth with 2 of the remaining three,..one nearby,..the other about 50 miles away, both are attractive,..but I suspect the emails will cease soon. No email Chemistry with one and the other is very new to MySpace and as she gets other offers and so forth,....may move away from me to whoever else she contacted,...probably newly single as well, so is playing the field.

If you want to check out my MySpace the link is a couple of posts down,...yes you have to work for it.....

More to come.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home